Looking for a dessert to bring to the table this Halloween? Wanting to disguise it as something festive for the holiday? These Jack-O’-Lantern Candy Apples are a cute sweet treat that everyone will love! Get ready for people to be asking “how did you do that?” and saying “those are so cute!” Although during this holiday we all have candy to satisfy our sweet tooth’s, try these candy apples to switch it up.
- 8 medium apples (The bigger the apple the better!)
- 8 Cinnamon Sticks (you can use 6 inch) or craft sticks (the flat wooden sticks with round ends)
- 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon orange paste food color
- Powdered sugar (you know this is what makes it yummy!)
- 2oz black fondant (if desired)
- 1 tube (around 4.25 oz.) Betty Crocker green decorating icing
You might also like: 5 Fall Car Care Tips
Step By Step
- First, you will line your cookie sheet with cooking parchment paper to prevent any sticky messes and allow for easy removal. Then, wash and dry your apples as you normally would! You will need to remove stem and blossom the ends. Finally, Insert the stick into stem end of each apple.
- In a 3-quart heavy saucepan, mix the granulated sugar, water, corn syrup and food coloring. You will want to heat to boiling over medium-high heat. Boil uncovered for 15 minutes, without any additional stirring, to 300°F on candy thermometer or until small amount of mixture dropped into cup of very cold water separates into hard, brittle threads. (Watch carefully so mixture does not burn.) Immediately remove from heat. Let stand until bubbling stops.
- You will then dip each apple into hot sugar mixture, turning to coat and letting excess drip off. Place on cookie sheet to dry and let it sit until it is set.
- Lightly sprinkle some powdered sugar on your surface so you can prep your fondant. Then, roll the fondant to 1/8-inch thickness. Using a paring knife, cut out the eyes, nose and mouth for each jack- o’-lantern. Attach leaf tip to the icing tube to pipe leaves on each apple. Remove the leaf tip from icing tube and attach small round tip. Now, pipe the vines. Use the icing to attach eyes, nose and mouth to each apple, pressing gently. Let stand until set.
Follow these steps, and the Jack-O’-Lantern Candy Apples can and will be a hit!
Disclaimer: The stock image is being used for illustrative purposes only, and it is not a direct representation of the business, recipe, or activity listed. Any person depicted in the stock image is a model.