Your car’s health is vital for a smooth, stress-free ride. One of the key factors for keeping it in tip-top shape is transmission maintenance. Changing your transmission fluid is a commonly overlooked aspect of car maintenance. However, the transmission fluid ensures your vehicle operates at its peak performance. Check out this quick guide from Kelly Blue Book for more information about the importance of transmission fluid.
What is Transmission Fluid
The transmission fluid is a lubricant for all moving parts inside your vehicle’s transmission. Different types of transmissions – automatic, manual, and continuously variable transmissions (CVT) – require different types of transmission fluid. Regular maintenance and change of transmission fluid can significantly enhance the longevity and functionality of your vehicle.
Signs You Need To Change Your Transmission Fluid
The next critical aspect is knowing when to change your transmission fluid. The general rule of thumb is to change the transmission fluid after every 30,000 to 60,000 miles. However, this depends on your specific vehicle model, the conditions under which you drive, and the type of fluid used.
A few tell-tale signs that your transmission fluid needs to be replaced include:
- Difficulty in shifting gears
- Delayed vehicle response
- Transmission noises
- Noticeable decline in driving performance.
How to Check Your Transmission Fluid
- Warm Up Your Vehicle: Start your car and let it run for several minutes. The fluid needs to be warm for an accurate reading.
- Locate the Dipstick: The transmission dipstick is typically found towards the back of the engine. Check your vehicle’s manual if you have trouble locating it.
- Remove and Clean the Dipstick: Pull out the dipstick and wipe it clean with a lint-free cloth. This ensures you get a clear reading.
- Insert the Dipstick Back in and Remove: Re-insert the cleaned dipstick all the way in, then pull it out again.
- Inspect the Fluid: The fluid should be a pinkish or clear color. Dark or burnt-smelling fluid indicates a need for a change. Also, make sure the fluid level is within the safe zone marked on the dipstick.
- Repeat the Process: To confirm your reading, repeat steps 3-5 once or twice more.
You might also like: There Is Nothing Better Than The 2023 Volvo XC60
Get Your Transmission Fluid Changed at the Volvo Cars Fredericksburg
If you notice signs that your vehicle needs a transmission fluid change, visit Volvo Cars Fredericksburg service center in Fredericksburg, VA. Our skilled technicians are experienced in handling transmission fluid changes for all kinds of vehicles. We provide efficient and prompt service, ensuring your vehicle is back on the road in no time. Trust us with your vehicle, and we’ll ensure that it gets the treatment it deserves, boosting its performance and enhancing your driving experience.
Understanding your vehicle and its needs can make a massive difference in your car’s health and longevity. So, don’t overlook the small signs your vehicle gives you, and make sure you get your transmission fluid checked and changed when needed, ensuring a smooth and problem-free ride.
Disclaimer: The stock image is being used for illustrative purposes only, and it is not a direct representation of the business, recipe, or activity listed. Any person depicted in the stock image is a model.