School’s almost out and summer fun is just around the corner. That means it’s time to get your home ready for the season. As the weather starts to warm up, you’ll want to spend more time outside soaking up the sun so you’ll want your outdoor spaces to be ready. Keep reading for a few tips and recommendations on how to prep your home for the summer season from Adorable Home.
Summer Cleaning Basics
Getting your home ready starts with a few basic cleaning and maintenance tasks.
- Gutter cleaning and maintenance: Clogged gutters can cause water damage to your home. Clear out any debris and make sure your gutters are in good condition.
- Declutter the garage: If your garage is cluttered, now is the perfect time to get it organized. Donate or discard items that you no longer need, and organize the remaining items
- Repair and repaint fences: Fences can take a beating during the winter months. Check for any damage, and repaint or repair as necessary.
Gutter Cleaning How-To
Not sure how to clean your gutters, follow this simple step-by-step guide.
- Gather your tools. You’ll need a ladder, a pair of gloves, a bucket or bag to collect debris, a garden trowel, and a hose.
- Set up your ladder securely against your home, making sure that it is on a level surface and that the top of the ladder is at least three feet above the gutter line.
- Using your gloves and garden trowel, scoop out any debris from the gutters and place it in your bucket or bag. Be sure to remove any large or compacted debris, such as leaves or twigs.
- Once you’ve removed all the debris, flush out your gutters with a hose to remove any remaining dirt or debris. Start at the end of the gutter farthest from the downspout and work your way toward it, ensuring that water is flowing freely through the gutter.
- While you’re cleaning your gutters, be sure to check for any leaks or damage to the gutters or downspouts. If you notice any damage, make sure to repair it before the next rainstorm.
- Once you’ve finished cleaning your gutters, clean up any debris that may have fallen onto the ground. Dispose of the debris properly.
Prep Your Outdoor Living Spaces
Next, make sure your home is ready for cookouts and barbeques. Prep your outdoor spaces to accommodate you and your family when you want to sit on the deck sunning on lazy summer afternoons or invite friends over for fun summer get-togethers.
- Update outdoor furniture: If your outdoor furniture is looking tired, consider updating it with new cushions or a fresh coat of paint.
- Repair and refinish the deck: Check for any damage or wear and tear on your deck. If it needs to be refinished, now is the time to do it.
- Add outdoor lighting: Outdoor lighting can transform your outdoor living space into a beautiful oasis. Consider adding string lights or other lighting fixtures to create a warm and inviting atmosphere.
- Clean the grill: Summer wouldn’t be complete without at least one cookout. But before you fire up the grill make sure you give it a deep clean to get rid of any built-up grime or debris. Follow the steps below to get it in tip-top shape.
You might also like: Go The Extra Mile In The 2023 XC40 SUV
Best Lighting for Outdoor Spaces
Is this your first time looking for outdoor lighting? The best lighting for outdoor spaces is versatile and functional. It should provide adequate illumination for safety and visibility while also enhancing the aesthetic appeal of the space. LED lighting is an excellent choice for outdoor areas because it is energy-efficient and long-lasting. It is also weather-resistant and can withstand exposure to the elements. Different types of lighting fixtures, such as string lights, wall sconces, and landscape lighting, can be used to create a layered lighting effect and highlight specific features of the outdoor area. Overall, the best lighting for outdoor spaces should balance function and style to create a welcoming and enjoyable environment.
Disclaimer: The stock image is being used for illustrative purposes only, and it is not a direct representation of the business, recipe, or activity listed. Any person depicted in the stock image is a model.